Monday, April 4, 2011

Growing Place

I took comfort in the familiarity of going to work everyday and continuing my same plans to finish school when my life was upside down during and after my divorce. Apparently I no longer need that comfort and familiarity, as many more aspects of my life are beginning to change. And, believe it or not, I’m excited about it!

Last week I was hit hard with the realization that I could not finish my degree while working at my current job. Most of my remaining classes are only offered during the day and my work schedule could not accommodate that. I felt like I was wandering around aimlessly for a day or two, but then I began to feel peaceful and excited. I need this push or else I would stay in this stable job with steady pay forever. Finishing my degree, which has weighed on me heavily for years now, will push me to my dreams of writing or working in the publishing industry.

My current plan is simply this: I will leave my job by August and go to school full-time in the fall semester. I will mostly likely stay in Orem and go to UVU, but there is a small possibility that I will go back up to Logan and finish up at my beloved USU. I would like to work part-time and I met someone just a few days ago who asked me to meet with him about working with him part-time while in school. I’ve even started looking for writing-related internships which would mean leaving my job earlier. So much change! And so much peace.

I am grateful for the opportunity to finally finish school. If nothing else, I did not go through all of those years of killing myself with both work and school to stop short. I desire, almost more than anything at this moment, to finish what I started and obtain that little piece of paper that might convince the world, as well as myself,  that I know a thing or two. 


You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in 
which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing 
which you think you cannot do. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

2 comments: